Many people get terrariums, and then have no idea which plants are going to thrive best in this sort of environment.
I hope you love the products I recommend! Just so you know, I may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Oh, and FYI — as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Terrariums create a pretty cool environment for plants to grow, and you can have yourself an awesome little garden if you get the right plants.
The type of plants you use will depend on the type of terrarium you have. Some terrariums are open, whereas others are completely enclosed, and this will play a great role in the plants you choose.
We are going to look at what we think are among the best terrarium plants.
- Quick Summary Of The Top Terrarium Plants
- Detailed Reviews Of The Best Terrarium Plants
Quick Summary Of The Top Terrarium Plants
1. Best Terrarium Plant For Fastest Growth
If you have a larger terrarium, you need miniature plants that are going to grow to a decent size without getting too large.
And, of course, you also want something that is going to grow quickly so you can get more enjoyment out of it.
These Terrarium & Fairy Garden Plants are just what you need.
2. Best Terrarium Plant For Non-Gardeners
The Bliss Gardens Air Plant Kit has everything you need to start your own small terrarium setup.
It includes a terrarium with a pedestal, air plants, purple agate stone, turquoise sand, and more.
All of the instructions for setup and plant care are included, and the air plants practically take care of themselves.
3. Most Leafy Terrarium Plants
The Jmbamboo Collection of terrarium fairy and garden plants is a great selection of greens and flowers that will brighten up your home or office.
Receive five plants in a mixture of miniature ferns, polka dot plants, club mosses, miniature begonias, dwarf palms, peperomias, and more. Each plant comes in a 2-inch pot.
4. Best Terrarium Plants For Small Spaces
Another great option for small spaces is the Air Plant Terrarium with 7” Teardrop Glass.
This tiny terrarium holds one adorable plant, and you get everything you need to set it up, including a hematite nugget, mini river pebbles, ice blue and natural reindeer moss, a juniper sprig, and more.
5. Best Small Terrarium Houseplant
The Pink Nerve Plant comes in a 2.5” pot and is ideal for use in terrariums, or even as a regular houseplant. It is easy to grow and doesn’t need a lot of water to thrive.
If you want to keep it in an enclosed space such as a terrarium, it will need to be trimmed periodically.
Detailed Reviews Of The Best Terrarium Plants
The purpose of this article is to help you decide which terrarium and plants are going to be best for you and the space you want to put them in. We have included both starter kits and single plants for you to check out.
1. Terrarium & Fairy Garden Plants by JM Bamboo
This set of Terrarium & Fairy Garden Plants has eight plants that range from 4-6 inches in height, and are in 2.5-inch pots.
It only takes a few minutes to set these plants up inside a terrarium and you will have a beautiful indoor garden to enjoy year-round.
- Eight good-sized plants to create a medium to large size garden
- Only takes a few minutes to set up all of the plants
- Plants grow up to 6 inches in height
- Some reports of plants arriving wilted or even dead
- Problems with plants being crushed in shipping
- Some plants are too large for terrariums
When you can’t have an outdoor garden, and you don’t have space for a lot of potted plants inside, these Terrarium & Fairy Garden Plants are the ideal solution.
You can quickly and easily set them up in a terrarium, and watch them grow in just a few short weeks.
2. Bliss Gardens Air Plant Kit
The Bliss Gardens Air Plant Kit is designed with the non-gardener in mind. We all love nice plants, but not all of us have a green thumb.
Air plants don’t need a lot of care, so even if you forget to water them, they are still going to look beautiful.
- The kit is easy to set up and immediately start enjoying your garden
- Air plants help to purify the air in your home
- Air plants are low-maintenance and easy to care for
- Not enough plants for the price
- Reports of broken globes
- Globe is made of plastic and not glass
If you don’t have a lot of space for plants, the Bliss Gardens Air Plant Kit is the ideal solution to your problem. It is small enough to sit on a countertop or desk, but large enough to be an attractive addition to any room, and it will help to purify the air.
3. Jmbamboo Collection
The Jmbamboo Collection is a lovely mix of greens and flowers that will brighten your day every time you look at it.
You will receive a total of five plants that you can easily set up in a terrarium to have your own beautiful indoor garden.
- Great selection of plants
- Receive five small plants that are easy to care for
- Plant in any type of terrarium or another glass container
- Plant mix depends on the season
- You can’t choose your favorite plants
- Some plants have arrived damaged or even dead
If you don’t have a lot of space, but you want to enjoy a terrarium, the Jmbamboo Collection is just what you need. It has five small starter plants that you can put into a container as small as a fishbowl, to create your own garden atmosphere for your home or office.
4. Air Plant Terrarium with 7” Teardrop Glass
If you’re not ready for a larger terrarium, or if you are short on space, the Air Plant Terrarium with 7” Teardrop Glass is a great alternative to larger terrariums.
You get a tiny fairy garden to enjoy, complete with a single plant and other items to create your very own miniature garden.
- Everything you need to start your own tiny terrarium
- Air plants are great for purifying the air in your home or office
- Air plants are easy to care for
- The terrarium is very tiny, with just one plant
- Teardrop glass may arrive damaged in shipping
- The plant may be wilted or dying
The Air Plant Terrarium with 7” Teardrop Glass is sweet for your home or office, and it makes an ideal gift. The air plant will help to purify the air around you, and it is super-easy to care for. It doesn’t even need to be watered very often.
5. Pink Nerve Plant
The Pink Nerve Plant is easy to grow and doesn’t require a lot of water. It does prefer bright, indirect sunlight, and may require the occasional trimming. Keep this plant moist, but not too wet or too dry.
Your plant will arrive in a 2.5” growing pot.
- Easy to care for
- Great for terrariums or as a regular houseplant
- The plant is large enough to be divided into three plants
- Plants may arrive sick or dying
- The plant may be too large for smaller terrariums
- Can die easily if overwatered
If you are looking for a terrarium plant that is a bit larger than most, the Pink Nerve Plant is a great choice. Its green leaves with pink veins really stand out, and it looks great in any room, in your office, etc.
Having plants such as this can also help to purify the air in your home or office.
Final Thoughts On Terrarium Plants
When setting up a terrarium, it is important to get the right plants, and whenever possible, beginners should look for starter kits that have everything they need.
We have looked at kits and individual plants, all of which would be great for you to get started with. If you’re looking for something that is quick to set up, the Terrarium & Fairy Garden Plants by JM Bamboo is definitely one of the best terrarium plants and an ideal option to transform your home.