I hope you love the products I recommend! Just so you know, I may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Oh, and FYI — as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Knowing what to feed your Betta Fish can be confusing and I often see this question all over the help forums:
Can Betta Fish Eat Goldfish food?
Personally, I’m not sure what the confusion is. Yes, both the goldfish and betta are fish. But the similarities stop there. They have a completely different diet and nutritional requirements.
Below you will find a general explanation of what both fish require in their diets, here’s what you’ll learn:
I Recommend You Feed Your Betta Something From This List, Instead Of Goldfish Food
|Top||Fluval Bug Bites Betta with Shrimp for Fish, 1.09 oz.||Prime||Buy On Amazon|
|Tetra BloodWorms 0.28 Ounce, Freeze-Dried Food For Freshwater and Saltwater Fish, 0.28-Ounce, 100-Ml||Prime||Buy On Amazon|
|New Life Spectrum Betta Small 25g (Naturox Series)||Prime||Buy On Amazon|
|OMEGA One Freeze Dried Bloodworm .96oz, Yellow||Prime||Buy On Amazon|
|Tetra 77019 Betta Floating Mini Pellets for Bettas, 1.02 oz||Prime||Buy On Amazon|
|Ocean Nutrition Atison's Betta Food, 75 g||Prime||Buy On Amazon|
What Do Betta Fish Eat?
So the food for betta fish should be protein-rich meaty foods.
Betta’s also tend to eat a large variety of foods. Here are a few typical betta fish food options;
- Betta Pellets
- Betta Flakes
- Frozen or live bloodworms, daphnia, and brine shrimp.
- Freeze Dried Bloodworms, shrimp (used mainly as treats)
Betta’s are Carnivores/Insectivores:
“Wild Betta fish are hardy and can eat almost anything in their environments, including worms, larvae of mosquitoes or other insects, and even smaller fish. Their natural environment is often resource-limited, so many Betta species have little choice of food.” Wikipedia
The digestive system of the betta fish is specifically designed to handle a high protein diet. Bettas food should be at least 50% protein. Most betta food (pellets) will have a protein rating of at least 50%, look for at least 32% crude protein.
The Betta fish naturally feeds from the surface of the water and has a mouth designed specifically for that. In the wild, the betta fish will eat insect larvae right off the surface of the water.
Keeping this in mind a floating betta pellet would most mimic its natural environment. Most pet stores offer betta specific pellets.
Betta fish only need to be fed 2-3 pellets per feeding so one container will last a very long time.
Use our detailed step by step betta fish feeding tips at the end of our post “Can Betta Fish Eat Tropical Fish Food” for healthy, happy betta. Good luck!
Learn more about Bettas Here:
The Top Betta Fish Food
Don’t feed your betta’s goldfish food. Try my top recommendation below specifically made to keep your betta happy and healthy!
What Do Goldfish Eat?
Goldfish are omnivore:
“An omnivore is an animal that can derive its energy and nutrients from a diet consisting of a variety of food sources that may include plants, animals, algae, fungi, and bacteria.” Wikipedia
The flake food produced for goldfish is low protein and high fiber, in-fact most goldfish food can have lower protein levels than most tropical fish foods.
Basically, goldfish food does not have the essential nutrients that a betta would require.
So, Can Betta Fish Eat Goldfish Food?
Sure, betta may eat goldfish food. But is it the best food to provide the nutrients needed for a healthy betta fish? Definitely Not! Use some of the betta fish food options above or check out this short video for betta fish feeding tips.
Here is a great video “Tips For Feeding Betta Fish” detailing the types of food betta fish enjoy and how to feed your betta fish.
Learn More About Your Betta Fish
- How To Care For a Betta Fish For Beginners: Betta Fish Care 101 [Guide & Care Sheet]
- 10 Of The Best Betta Fish Toys Your Betta Will Love
- 11 Of The Latest Betta Fish Tank Accessories
- 11 Steps Simplified: How To Clean a Betta Fish Tank
- 12 Of The Best Betta Fish Tanks You Can Buy In 2018 – Top Picks & Reviews
- 19 Cool Betta Fish Tank Ideas That Will Inspire You
- 5 Gallon Betta Tank: 6 Superior Options For Under $100
- 7 Awesome Betta Fish Aquaponics Kits For Your Home
- 7 Easy DIY Ideas for Betta Fish Tanks with Divider
- 7 Fundamentals of the Ideal Betta Fish Tank
- 7 Terrific Small Betta Fish Tanks
- 9 Expert Tips: The Ideal Betta Fish Tank Temperature
- 9 Proven Steps: How To Breed Betta Fish The Easy Way
- Betta Fish Tank Review: The Fluval Spec V Aquarium Kit – Great For Betta & Other Small Fish!
- Betta Fish Tank Review: The Marineland ML90609 Portrait Aquarium Kit
- Betta Fish Tank: The Fluval Edge Review (6 & 12 Gallons)
- Betta Fish Tricks & Training
- Can Betta Fish Eat Goldfish Food?
- Find The Best Filter For Betta Fish – [2019 Buyer’s Guide]
- Find the Right Sponge Filter For Your Betta or Other Small Fish
- How Long Do Bettas Fish Live? How To Increase Your Betta’s Lifespan
- How to Use a Betta Fish Tank Divider – Tips & Tricks
- Need a Betta Tank Heater? – Here Are 5 Affordable Betta Fish Tank Heaters You Should Know About
- NoClean Aquariums Betta Fish Tank: 8 Truths About Gravity Flow Self-Cleaning Tanks
- Non Aggressive & Peaceful Betta Tank Mates You Can Add To Your Community Tank. [List & Guide)
- Q&A: Are Bloodworms Good For Betta Fish?
- Selecting The Best Betta Mini Internal Aquarium Filter For Your Small Aquarium
- Self Cleaning Betta Tank: 7 Better & Safer Options For Your Betta
- The Best Live Plants For Betta Fish That Are Super Easy To Keep
- Top Fin Aquaponics Review
- Updated! Best Betta Fish Tank Size For A Happy Betta Fish 2019 [Guide]
- What do Betta Fish Eat? Use These 5 Best Types Of Betta Food