If you’re thinking of setting up a carpet in your planted tank, you have likely wondered how to actually go about doing it?
The carpeted tank is used often in modern aquascaping because it provides a beautiful effect giving depth, motion and stunning colour to any aquarium.
Here is a great infographic that will explain everything you need to know about creating a carpet in your planted tank.
Creating your own carpet can be difficult if you don’t know what you are doing. The above infographic does a great job covering all things you’ll need to know such as, CO2, light, and fertilizers.
Here are some of the key takeaways;
Having the right equipment on hand when you start will help ensure you are ready to tackle any problems you may experience. Here are some of the things noted, that you should have on hand;
2) Aquarium Carpet Plants
When it comes to selecting plants for your carpet, be sure you understand the requirements for each plant. Some plants require more care and attention than others, while some might require more CO2. Here is a list of some great plants to create a carpet in your aquarium.
- Dwarf Hairgrass
- Java Moss (Easiest for beginners)
3) Planted Tank Substrate
The infographic recommends using a combination of a powder type substrate with a nutrient rich substrate because of the small plant size.
4) Planting Tips
Planting should be done with care, rush and it can ruin your carpet completely. Here are some things you should be aware of before you start planting.
- Prep your plants before planting
- Use tweezers to place them in the substrate
- Layout in a grid pattern
- Fill than tank with some water when planting
After you have finished planting you need to monitor your set up to ensure things continue to develop over time. Here are the key things you will need to do to have a healthy carpet grow.
- Monitor the water conditions
- Watch for browning and die off
- Lighting 6 hours a day
- Do not fertilize for 5-6 weeks
By following all 5 tips you should be well on your way to enjoying a beautiful planted aquarium.
How To Start A Carpet Of Pearlweed
- Top Small Algae Eating Fish [Best Eaters To Clean Aquariums] - September 18, 2023
- Ideal Betta Fish Tank Size What You Need [Best Setup Guide] - September 18, 2023
- Centerpiece Fish For 55 Gallon Tank [Best Community Ideas] - September 18, 2023