I hope you love the products I recommend! Just so you know, I may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Oh, and FYI — as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you recently got a Betta fish you may be wondering:
How long do Betta Fish live?
If kept in optimum living conditions a Betta fish can typically live about 2-3 years. But some owners who take really great care have seen their Betta fish live for up to 5 years.
With the information you find below, I have no doubt you can keep your Betta alive for at least 3-4 years.
But first, you need to know what can hurt your Betta.
In this guide, you will learn how long the average lifespan of a Betta fish is along with some great tips on how you can increase their lifespan and ensure your Betta will live a happy long life.
But first, think about this;
Have you ever seen those fish in the pet store living in a tiny cup, well this is not what you want to do. If this is your idea of a beautiful home for your Betta you couldn’t be more wrong.
Just think what it would be like living in a tiny room with no fresh air or food. Not pleasant! So read this guide and make the changes needed to keep your Betta living for years to come.
The 2 Biggest Impacts On Betta Fish Health
When it comes to your Betta’s health there are two things that have the biggest impact.
1. Water Quality
The water in your Betta’s tank should be the right temperature, around 76-82 degrees F (24-27 degrees C). Too cold and they can become sluggish and prone to disease. To high or low of a PH and they will die a slow painful death.
In our post 9 Expert Tips: The Ideal Betta Fish Tank Temperature we show you exactly how to maintain the ideal water conditions for your Betta fish.
2. Proper Diet
Using the right food for Betta fish is key in adding years to your Betta life span. A Betta’s diet should be protein rich and meaty. Pellets, frozen or live bloodworms, daphnia, and brine shrimp are best.
Read our post What do Betta Fish Eat? We show you all the different types of food that a Betta fish typically enjoys and which ones are the best.
By providing the proper diet you can add several years of life to your Betta fish.
Typical Betta Fish Health Problems
Betta fish are prone to a number of health problems, but following the advice we present can help you prevent many of the health problems Betta fish experience.
Here are just a few common problems
1. Fin & Tail Rot
5. Pop Eye
How To Tell If Your Betta Fish Is Sick
The good news is that most Betta fish diseases can be prevented, treated and easily identified.
Some typical things to look for would be;
- Watch out for faded coloring.
- Keep an eye on your betta’s fins.
- Look for lethargy.
- Watch your betta’s eating habits.
- Check for spots.
- Look for breathing problems.
- Watch for your betta to rub or scratch.
- look for other physical symptoms.
7 Easy Things You Can Do To Increase Betta Fish Lifespan
The lifespan of a Betta fish can be greatly be increased by doing a few simple things, they are as follows;
1) Tank Size: The Bigger the Better
2) Maintain the Ideal Tank Temperature
3) Pay Attention to Water Quality
4) Include a Lid and Space at the Top
5) Use An Aquarium Filter
6) Include Plenty of Places to Hide
7) Select the Right Tank Companions
Each of the items noted above are covered in detail in our post The 7 Fundamentals of the Ideal Betta Fish Tank click the link to learn exactly how you can easily increase the lifespan of a Betta fish.
Betta fish are hardy and easy to care for provided you know what you’re doing. With the information in this guide there is no reason your Betta fish can’t live for at least 4 years.
If you do only two things on this list, the things that make the biggest difference to the lifespan of a Betta fish would be water quality and diet.
Learn More About Your Betta Fish
- How To Care For a Betta Fish For Beginners: Betta Fish Care 101 [Guide & Care Sheet]
- 10 Of The Best Betta Fish Toys Your Betta Will Love
- 11 Of The Latest Betta Fish Tank Accessories
- 11 Steps Simplified: How To Clean a Betta Fish Tank
- 12 Of The Best Betta Fish Tanks You Can Buy In 2018 – Top Picks & Reviews
- 19 Cool Betta Fish Tank Ideas That Will Inspire You
- 5 Gallon Betta Tank: 6 Superior Options For Under $100
- 7 Awesome Betta Fish Aquaponics Kits For Your Home
- 7 Easy DIY Ideas for Betta Fish Tanks with Divider
- 7 Fundamentals of the Ideal Betta Fish Tank
- 7 Terrific Small Betta Fish Tanks
- 9 Expert Tips: The Ideal Betta Fish Tank Temperature
- 9 Proven Steps: How To Breed Betta Fish The Easy Way
- Betta Fish Tank Review: The Fluval Spec V Aquarium Kit – Great For Betta & Other Small Fish!
- Betta Fish Tank Review: The Marineland ML90609 Portrait Aquarium Kit
- Betta Fish Tank: The Fluval Edge Review (6 & 12 Gallons)
- Betta Fish Tricks & Training
- Can Betta Fish Eat Goldfish Food?
- Find The Best Filter For Betta Fish – [2019 Buyer’s Guide]
- Find the Right Sponge Filter For Your Betta or Other Small Fish
- How Long Do Bettas Fish Live? How To Increase Your Betta’s Lifespan
- How to Use a Betta Fish Tank Divider – Tips & Tricks
- Need a Betta Tank Heater? – Here Are 5 Affordable Betta Fish Tank Heaters You Should Know About
- NoClean Aquariums Betta Fish Tank: 8 Truths About Gravity Flow Self-Cleaning Tanks
- Non Aggressive & Peaceful Betta Tank Mates You Can Add To Your Community Tank. [List & Guide)
- Q&A: Are Bloodworms Good For Betta Fish?
- Selecting The Best Betta Mini Internal Aquarium Filter For Your Small Aquarium
- Self Cleaning Betta Tank: 7 Better & Safer Options For Your Betta
- The Best Live Plants For Betta Fish That Are Super Easy To Keep
- Top Fin Aquaponics Review
- Updated! Best Betta Fish Tank Size For A Happy Betta Fish 2019 [Guide]
- What do Betta Fish Eat? Use These 5 Best Types Of Betta Food