The Top Fin Aquaponics series of fish tank kits are great little set ups that can fit on most small surfaces in your home.
They are available in a few sizes with the biggest being 5 gallons, which happens to be the perfect size for small fish like a Betta fish and some small decorations.
In this review of the Top Fin® Aquaponics 5 Gallon Desk Aquarium we will go over exactly how to set up the fish tank, the best plants to use and all the sizes available for you to choose from.
We even include a bunch of cool video’s you can watch if you hate reading (I know I do!).
Alternatives To The Top Fin Aquaponics Kit
|Top||Water Garden, Self-Cleaning Fish Tank That Grows Food, Mini Aquaponic Ecosystem (Great Gardening Gift & Family Project)||Prime||Buy On Amazon|
|Top Top||AquaSprouts Garden||Prime||Buy On Amazon|
|Top||Ecolife ECO-Cycle Aquaponics Indoor Garden System with LED Light Upgrade||Prime||Buy On Amazon|
Quick Overview 5 Gallon Top Fin® Aquaponics Kit
The Best Features Of The Top Fin® Aquaponics Kit
Make cooking more enjoyable by having fresh herbs in your kitchen.
Th filter is adjustable and on the lowest setting it won’t bother small fish like a Betta
Affordable price for what you get when compared to aquaponic fish tanks double the price
What We Liked About The Top Fin® Aquaponics Aquarium
- Easy Setup & maintenance
- Plants grow really well
- Fits on most countertops
What We Don’t Like About The Top Fin® Aquaponics Aquarium
- Filter quality — could be easily solved by using better media.
- LED lighting is weak but good enough for most plants.
What You Need To Know This Aquaponics Kit
For the purpose of this review we will be referring to the 5 gallon kit which in our opinion is the smallest tank you should get if you are looking at getting fish.
Anything smaller and it becomes difficult to keep the water clean and healthy for your fish and plants — However, you’re welcome to give a smaller tank a go, below we have links to all the sizes available.
Video: Top Fin Aquaponics Unboxing
This video review and unboxing of the Top Fin Aquaponics 2.5 Gallon goes over what comes with the tank (hint: not a filter) and how you can modify the pump with an easy little trick.
You should be aware that this video is about the “Embark” version of the Top Fin Aquaponics kits which is available at PETSMART.
For the most part all the Top Fin Aquaponics fish tanks are very similar and are very easy to set up.
What’s Included (Top Fin Aquaponics 5 Gallon Kit)
The 5 Gallon Top Fin kit comes with everything you need to get started, here’s what’s included;
- 1 five gallon tank with planter lid
- 1 plant growth LED fixture
- 1 integrated filtration system (5 Gallon Kit Only)
- 7 oz planting media
- 1 one-color LED
- 1 filter cartridge (5 Gallon Kit Only)
What Sizes Are Available:
The Top Fin Aquaponics fish tank comes in the following sizes & can be found online at PetSmart.
- 2 Gallon
- 2.5 Gallon
- 3 Gallon
- 3.5 Gallon
- 5 Gallon
What Plants Can Be Used In The Top Fin Aquaponics Fish Tank?
When selecting plants for your new aquaponics kit be sure to start with some small herbs or easy to grow plants.
Below are a few examples of easy to grow plants you could try out and you can find a few more Recommended Plants over at Nelson & Pade
- any leafy lettuce
- pak choi
- swiss chard
- most common house plants
Best Planting Media For The Top Fin Aquaponics Kit?
All sizes of come with enough planting media for your aquaponics kit to get started which is great. However, at some point you will need more — Also, there are much better brands available.
If you do require more planting media try using someting like Viastone Expanded Clay Grow Rocks it’s a great media that will help jumpstart your plants growth.
How To Set Up The Top Fin Aquaponics Fish Tank
According to Petsmart the kit can be set up by following these easy steps below…However, I feel like there would be a little more required to get it up an running properly. However, it’s still a pretty basic aquarium set up with a basic aquaponics system.
- Place aquarium on a stable, sturdy surface away from heat, cold, and direct sunlight.
- Use an aquarium heater, if needed, to maintain stable water temperatures.
- Choose your favorite color of gravel, or mix and match.
- Condition water during set-up and each water change. Water testing, water conditioner, and bacteria starter are keys to success. Let water sit for 24 hours before introducing fish.
- Use decor to complement your personal style and provide shelter for your fish.
- Choose the appropriate quantity of compatible fish.
- Feed your fish with the appropriate type and amount of food.
Learn More About Your Betta Fish
- How To Care For a Betta Fish For Beginners: Betta Fish Care 101 [Guide & Care Sheet]
- 10 Of The Best Betta Fish Toys Your Betta Will Love
- 11 Of The Latest Betta Fish Tank Accessories
- 11 Steps Simplified: How To Clean a Betta Fish Tank
- 12 Of The Best Betta Fish Tanks You Can Buy In 2018 – Top Picks & Reviews
- 19 Cool Betta Fish Tank Ideas That Will Inspire You
- 5 Gallon Betta Tank: 6 Superior Options For Under $100
- 7 Awesome Betta Fish Aquaponics Kits For Your Home
- 7 Easy DIY Ideas for Betta Fish Tanks with Divider
- 7 Fundamentals of the Ideal Betta Fish Tank
- 7 Terrific Small Betta Fish Tanks
- 9 Expert Tips: The Ideal Betta Fish Tank Temperature
- 9 Proven Steps: How To Breed Betta Fish The Easy Way
- Betta Fish Tank Review: The Fluval Spec V Aquarium Kit – Great For Betta & Other Small Fish!
- Betta Fish Tank Review: The Marineland ML90609 Portrait Aquarium Kit
- Betta Fish Tank: The Fluval Edge Review (6 & 12 Gallons)
- Betta Fish Tricks & Training
- Can Betta Fish Eat Goldfish Food?
- Find The Best Filter For Betta Fish – [2019 Buyer’s Guide]
- Find the Right Sponge Filter For Your Betta or Other Small Fish
- How Long Do Bettas Fish Live? How To Increase Your Betta’s Lifespan
- How to Use a Betta Fish Tank Divider – Tips & Tricks
- Need a Betta Tank Heater? – Here Are 5 Affordable Betta Fish Tank Heaters You Should Know About
- NoClean Aquariums Betta Fish Tank: 8 Truths About Gravity Flow Self-Cleaning Tanks
- Non Aggressive & Peaceful Betta Tank Mates You Can Add To Your Community Tank. [List & Guide)
- Q&A: Are Bloodworms Good For Betta Fish?
- Selecting The Best Betta Mini Internal Aquarium Filter For Your Small Aquarium
- Self Cleaning Betta Tank: 7 Better & Safer Options For Your Betta
- The Best Live Plants For Betta Fish That Are Super Easy To Keep
- Top Fin Aquaponics Review
- Updated! Best Betta Fish Tank Size For A Happy Betta Fish 2019 [Guide]
- What do Betta Fish Eat? Use These 5 Best Types Of Betta Food
- How Many Glofish In A 20 Gallon Tank - December 4, 2023
- Ensuring the Right Water Temperature for Your Betta Fish: A Comprehensive Care Guide - December 4, 2023
- Top Aquarium-Safe Silicones: Ensuring the Health of Your Fish - December 4, 2023