I hope you love the products I recommend! By the way, any links on this page that lead to products on Amazon or other retailers are affiliate links and I earn a commission if you make a purchase. Thanks in advance for your support!
With that out of the way.
Before you buy that expensive filter you have your eye on, make sure you read our review of the SunSun Canister Filter .
SunSun is a lesser-known Chinese brand that makes quality filters that cost much less than other brands. This filter just may be the best value for the money and is a great option to keep your fish tank looking crystal clear.
Find out below if you’re in danger of spending too much money in your search for the a canister filter?
Quick Overview Of The SunSun HW-302 Canister Filter
The Best Features Of The SunSun Canister Filter
- 3 media trays capable of handling your choice of filtration media.
- The HW-302 canister filter has a convenient self-priming pump that eliminates the need for manual siphoning.
- This filter comes with an adjustable spray bar. This is a helpful feature if you want to adjust the output flow from the filter.
- Easy on your wallet. One of the best priced canister filters in it’s class.
- The HW-302 is really, really quiet which is great for living rooms, offices or bedrooms.
This filter may be for you if:
- You are making the move from HOB filters and don’t want to spend a whole lot of money.
- You are on a budget and can’t shell out big bucks for a more expensive brand.
- You are looking for a quiet filter that is easy to set up and keep running.
- You have a larger tank up to 75 gallons.
SunSun HW-302 What You Really Need To Know?
The HW-302 is a solid filter for the money.
SunSun has made a great filter that competes with better-known brands like Fluval, Eheim, and Marineland, but at a much cheaper price point.
Many people who have owned more expensive filters and switched to SunSun are very happy with the value that the HW-302 provides.
Because of its low price, the HW-302 is an excellent choice if you are looking to make the leap from hang-on-back (HOB) filter systems.
Like all canister filters, the HW-302 has a cleaner look since the filter itself is outside the tank, and it can filter larger amounts of water than HOB systems.
This filter is quiet. Like, really quiet!
Sometimes the only way to tell that this filter is even running is to put your hand on it to feel for vibrations. This is a great feature if the noise level is an issue, and honestly, who wants the sound of a loud filter messing with the calmness of a fish tank?
Overall, the SunSun HW-302 canister filter is an excellent choice, especially if you are on a budget. With the savings from this filter, you can easily afford to upgrade other features of your tank.
“Given the price point….I am extremly happy with my purchase. I use it on a 50 gallon tank with plants and it has almost elimated the need to do water changes…almost.”
- Rated for 265 gph, making it great for larger tanks up to 75 gallons.
- Small enough to fit under cabinet-style tanks. The dimensions are 9” L x 9” W x 15.5” H.
- 3 media trays that can take your own choice of filtration media.
- Easy setup, especially with the many YouTube videos out there explaining the process.
- Extremely quiet. You won’t even know this thing is running.
- Price that is much lower than other filters with similar features and functionality.
- Instructions are really bad. But you might consider this a pro if you enjoy terrible English translations.
- Does not come with any filtration media.
- Hoses can be a bit stiff at first.
- Make sure to prime with water in the system.
SunSun Filters What’s In the Box?
The HW-302 comes complete with filter unit, all hose connections, intake tube and outlet bar, and instruction book.
This filter feels nice and hefty and is clearly meant to be used. It’s clear that this is a quality filter, not some cheap Chinese knockoff.
This filter does NOT come with filtration media so you will have to purchase this separately, but the three media trays give you the option to use different types of media, and you can easily purchase poly-fill for cheap on Amazon.
One downside is that the instructions are really, really bad. This isn’t a big issue though since this filter is a breeze to assemble, especially if you’ve worked with a canister filter before.
If you haven’t, here’s a video from Life With Pets that shows you How to Set Up a Sunsun Canister Filter;
How To Set Up The SunSun Canister Filter
Priming the filter can take a little effort at first, but once you get it running it runs great. We recommend filling the filter with water before priming it.
The hoses are also a bit stiff at first, but a quick soak in hot water makes them more flexible.
How To Clean The SunSun Canister Filter
Not sure how to go about cleaning this filter, no worries Life With Pets has you covered (yet again!).
Buy The SunSun Canister Filter
If you are looking for a durable, quiet filter that does the job and does it on a budget, you can’t beat the SunSun HW-302 canister filter.
Sure, there are other great filters out there with similar features, but you’ll end up paying more for them than for the HW-302.
The HW-302 is also a top rated canister filter on Amazon, Big Al’s and PetSmart so you can be confident that you are picking a great product that will keep your water clear for a long time.
Further Reading: Need Help Finding A Canister Filter? Our Guide Can Help You Find The Best Canister Filter For Your Aquarium And Your Needs. We’ve Reviewed All The Top Brands From Fluval, Ehiem, API, Marineland, And More.
- Easy Steps To Cleaning A Betta Fish Tank - July 17, 2022
- 40 Best Fish For Stocking A 20 Gallon Tank – Ideas & Combinations You Can Copy - May 25, 2022
- How To Lower Ammonia Levels In A Fish Tank [10 Effective Ways] - May 25, 2022