I recently had a reader ask me if Bloodworms were okay to feed to their Betta and if so, which bloodworms were best, Live or Freeze Dried?
Well, since Betta fish are carnivorous they definitely can eat bloodworms. In fact Bloodworms are AWESOME for your Betta and a great source of Omega One.
“A Betta’s diet should be protein rich and meaty. Pellets, frozen or live bloodworms, daphnia, and brine shrimp are best.” – Tropical Fish Care Guides.
But keep in mind it’s not the only thing you should feed them.
In the post below we go over how often and how many bloodworms you should feed your Betta and finish off with a few recommendations for the best bloodworms live & freeze-dried for your Betta.
My Favorite Bloodworms For Betta Fish
|Top||Tetra BloodWorms 0.28 Ounce, Freeze-Dried Food For Freshwater and Saltwater Fish, 0.28-Ounce, 100-Ml||PrimeEligible||Buy On Amazon|
|Top Top||SAN FRANCISCO BAY Brand Freeze Dried Bloodworms 1.75oz||PrimeEligible||Buy On Amazon|
|Top||Omega One Freeze Dried Blood Worms, 0.96 oz||PrimeEligible||Buy On Amazon|
|Top||Fluval A6577 Bug Bites Tropical Fish Small Granules 1.59 oz, Small to Medium Fish||PrimeEligible||Buy On Amazon|
Should You Only Feed Your Betta Bloodworms?
Betta’s need a balanced diet to be healthy.
“Mix it up, Betta fish like variety and actually require the nutritional value of eating a variety of food to stay healthy. You wouldn’t eat the same thing every day, so don’t force them too.” – Tropical Fish Care Guides.
Watch this Video from Cavush showing his Betta fish eating blood worms
How Often Do You Feed Betta Fish Bloodworms?
Most Betta owners feed their Betta about 2 times per day, but once is okay as well. It all depends on your Betta. Some owners feed 3 times a day, which I think is too much.
But are we always using Bloodworms?
Nope, we mix it up.
Check out this great Step-By-Step Betta Feeding Guide where you’ll learn;
- The best times to feed your Betta
- How many times a day to feed your Betta
- How much to feed your betta
- What to feed your Betta
The guide is at the end of the post, so scroll all the way down. There are also some great videos in the post that are worth the watch.
How Many Bloodworms Should You Feed Your Betta?
Usually, about 1-2 worms at a time is more than enough. Remember your Betta stomach isn’t very big (Only the size of a pea).
“DO NOT drop a whole cube into the tank, instead cut the cube into smaller pieces or break off a chunk, place it in a cup with some water from your tank. When you can get 1-2 worms out use this at feeding time any more than this will be over feeding.” Tropical Fish Care Guides.
Types of Bloodworms:
- Live Blood Worms: Betta fish go crazy for live Blood worms (Unless they are a stickler) You can buy them from Amazon, Petco or Petsmart. They will be in little cubes which have hundreds of worms.
- Freeze Dried Bloodworms: should be used for treats, they have low nutritional value and can be used to replace one or two meals a week but never as a staple food. You can buy freeze dried bloodworms anywhere online like Amazon, Petco or Petsmart.
Which is best? Live Bloodworms for sure, they will be high in protein and meaty everything your Betta needs…Freeze dried should only be used as a treat for your Betta.
Best Bloodworms For Betta FishGet SAN FRANCISCO BAY Freeze Dried Bloodworms
Learn More About Your Betta Fish
- How To Care For a Betta Fish For Beginners: Betta Fish Care 101 [Guide & Care Sheet]
- 10 Of The Best Betta Fish Toys Your Betta Will Love
- 11 Of The Latest Betta Fish Tank Accessories
- 11 Steps Simplified: How To Clean a Betta Fish Tank
- 12 Of The Best Betta Fish Tanks You Can Buy In 2018 – Top Picks & Reviews
- 19 Cool Betta Fish Tank Ideas That Will Inspire You
- 5 Gallon Betta Tank: 6 Superior Options For Under $100
- 7 Awesome Betta Fish Aquaponics Kits For Your Home
- 7 Easy DIY Ideas for Betta Fish Tanks with Divider
- 7 Fundamentals of the Ideal Betta Fish Tank
- 7 Terrific Small Betta Fish Tanks
- 9 Expert Tips: The Ideal Betta Fish Tank Temperature
- 9 Proven Steps: How To Breed Betta Fish The Easy Way
- Betta Fish Tank Review: The Fluval Spec V Aquarium Kit – Great For Betta & Other Small Fish!
- Betta Fish Tank Review: The Marineland ML90609 Portrait Aquarium Kit
- Betta Fish Tank: The Fluval Edge Review (6 & 12 Gallons)
- Betta Fish Tricks & Training
- Can Betta Fish Eat Goldfish Food?
- Find The Best Filter For Betta Fish – [2019 Buyer’s Guide]
- Find the Right Sponge Filter For Your Betta or Other Small Fish
- How Long Do Bettas Fish Live? How To Increase Your Betta’s Lifespan
- How to Use a Betta Fish Tank Divider – Tips & Tricks
- Need a Betta Tank Heater? – Here Are 5 Affordable Betta Fish Tank Heaters You Should Know About
- NoClean Aquariums Betta Fish Tank: 8 Truths About Gravity Flow Self-Cleaning Tanks
- Non Aggressive & Peaceful Betta Tank Mates You Can Add To Your Community Tank. [List & Guide)
- Q&A: Are Bloodworms Good For Betta Fish?
- Selecting The Best Betta Mini Internal Aquarium Filter For Your Small Aquarium
- Self Cleaning Betta Tank: 7 Better & Safer Options For Your Betta
- The Best Live Plants For Betta Fish That Are Super Easy To Keep
- Top Fin Aquaponics Review
- Updated! Best Betta Fish Tank Size For A Happy Betta Fish 2019 [Guide]
- What do Betta Fish Eat? Use These 5 Best Types Of Betta Food
- Cherry Barb Fish: The Ultimate Care Guide - April 19, 2023
- How Do You Reseal A Fish Tank? - April 19, 2023
- Hard Water Fish Species – How to Choose the Right Fish for a Hard Water Aquarium - April 19, 2023