I hope you love the products I recommend! By the way, any links on this page that lead to products on Amazon or other retailers are affiliate links and I earn a commission if you make a purchase. Thanks in advance for your support!
With that out of the way.
The EHEIM Classic Canister Filter is probably the most widely-used, widely-praised, and widely-recommended external canister filter on the market today.
This filter has been around for decades and still has the same design, so you know Eheim must be doing something right.
Are Eheim Filters Good?
Eheim is one of the most well-known brands in aquatic products, and for good reason. They make some of the best internal and external filters, pumps, and accessories on the market, and they are known for quality and reliability.
Read our Eheim Classic canister filter review to find out why this filter is the best Eheim cansiter filter out there.
Quick Overview The EHEIM Classic External Canister Filter
4 Awesome Features Of The EHEIM Classic
- Longevity, these things just keep running, no matter what you throw at them.
- Simplicity of the Eheim Classic and the relatively affordable price put it squarely in the sweet spot.
- No media trays means greater water flow past filtration media.
- Quiet and efficient operation.
What You Need To Know About The EHEIM Classic
The EHEIM Classic has been around for a really long time. It is a tried-and-tested filter that has sold millions of units throughout its decades-long run, and it shows no signs of slowing down.
And why should it?
This filter is nearly perfect. Sure, it lacks some of the bells and whistles of newer, flashier filters on the market today, but it makes up for it by just doing its job and doing it well.
The Eheim classic is very simple in design – it looks like a green plastic bucket with two holes in it – and this simplicity makes it extremely reliable, durable, and easy to clean.
There are people out there who have been running the same Eheim Classic for over 30 years. These things just keep running, no matter what you throw at them.
This filter is very efficient and consumes very little power. It’s also nearly silent. You barely notice that this thing is on, even if you are running two of them at the same time.
Although there are less expensive filter options out there, the quality and reliability of this filter mean that it is still an exceptional value for the money.
Eheim also offers its own more expensive models, but the simple functionality of the Eheim Classic and the relatively affordable price put it squarely in the sweet spot, and make it the best Eheim canister filter available.
The Eheim Classic comes in five models rated for different tank sizes:
- Classic 150 (Eheim 2211) is rated for 40 gallons
- Classic 250 (Eheim 2213) is rated for 66 gallons
- Eheim Classic 350 (Eheim 2215 Canister Filter) is rated for 92 gallons
- Classic 600 (Eheim 2217) is rated for 180 gallons
- Classic 1500XL (Eheim 2260) is rated for 300 gallons
- Tried and tested design that has been around for a long time
- Simple design means long life and ease of operation
- Comes in several models rated for different tank sizes
- No media trays means greater water flow past filtration media
- Quiet and efficient operation
- No media trays makes cleaning slightly more difficult
- No self-priming feature makes priming more complicated
- Replacement parts are more expensive than other brands
- Not the best looking filter out there, but it will make your tank look the best (as long as you hide the filter in the cabinet)
More Popular Canister Filter Brands
If the Eheim Canister Filter doesn’t seem right for you click here to see a few other popoular canister filters.
Hands On EHEIM Classic Canister Filter
The Eheim Classic comes complete with canister chamber, spray bar, inlet pipe, hoses, installation accessories and filtration media.
As soon as you pick it up it’s obvious just how well-built this filter is. All of the parts from the canister chamber to the tubing are made of high-quality materials that feel very solid in your hands.
Even the clips that attach the motor head to the canister are made of stainless steel instead of the cheap plastic used by every other manufacturer. That means the clips won’t break, and if they lose their shape you can easily bend them back with pliers.
The Eheim Classic does not have any media trays, which can be a negative for some since you have to keep your media separated when you empty it for cleaning.
But, when filters with media trays get dirty, water tends to find the path of least resistance and bypass the filtration media altogether, which defeats the purpose of having a filter.
Not so with the Eheim Classic!
The simple bucket design with the intake at the bottom and the exhaust at the top means that your tank water will always pass through the filtration media, even if you haven’t cleaned it out in months.
Sure, your flow rate will decrease, but the filter will keep doing its job and keep your water clear. The lack of media trays also means you can fit an insane of amount filtration media in this thing.
One of the few complaints about this filter is that it can be difficult to prime. In this modern age of self-priming canister filters, the Eheim Classic sticks to the more involved process of manual siphoning. But, the process is not complicated.
If you’re not sure how to go about priming the Eheim Classic, check out this video:
Buy The EHEIM Classic Canister Filter
The Eheim Classic has been around for decades, and for good reason. This thing is simple to use, it lasts forever, and it just works.
It doesn’t get finicky if you forget to clean it, it doesn’t have cheap plastic clips and other parts that break easily, and it cleans water like a champ.
Eheim is a great brand in general, and they have newer filter designs with more bells and whistles if that’s your thing.
But if you want a simple filter that you don’t need to worry about and that will last you years without failure, then the Eheim Classic is the best Eheim canister filter you can buy.
Further Reading: Need Help Finding A Canister Filter? Our Guide Can Help You Find The Best Canister Filter For Your Aquarium And Your Needs. We’ve Reviewed All The Top Brands From Fluval, Ehiem, API, Marineland, And More.
- Easy Steps To Cleaning A Betta Fish Tank - July 17, 2022
- 40 Best Fish For Stocking A 20 Gallon Tank – Ideas & Combinations You Can Copy - May 25, 2022
- How To Lower Ammonia Levels In A Fish Tank [10 Effective Ways] - May 25, 2022