Today I’m super excited to be sharing this post with you all.
Recently one of my favorite filter manufacturers announced an upgrade to one of their best selling canister filters.
The Fluval 06 series is getting a makeover!
Today we’ll be unboxing and reviewing the Fluval 07 Series canister filter.
This makes it a seventh generation product with more than forty years of history and noted as the best selling canister filter of all time.
The 07 series offers four models of the canister filter for aquariums ranging from 10 to 100 US gallons or 40 to 500 liters.
Here is a breakdown of the models and capacities.
- 107 up to 30 US Gal (130 L)
- 207 up to 45 US Gal (220 L)
- 307 up to 70 US Gal (330 L)
- 407 up to 100 US Gal (500 L)
Update from Jack: The information and screenshots below have been compiled from the videos recently released by Fluval Aquatics. The Fluval 07 Canister Filter Line will launch first in the UK sometime March 2019 followed by a Global Release in spring 2019 and seem to be available on Amazon at this time.
In this post, we’re doing a deep dive unboxing and looking at all the features and benefits of the new Fluval 07 series filter line.
So let’s get right into it.
Further Reading: Need Help Finding A Canister Filter? Our Guide Can Help You Find The Best Canister Filter For Your Aquarium And Your Needs. We’ve Reviewed All The Top Brands From Fluval, Ehiem, API, Marineland, And More.
What Is Efficient Technology (ETech)?
Fluval describes their ETech as the following:
“A synergistic process that utilizes cutting-edge design materials and manufacturing methods to generate a great end result” – Fluval
So what does all that actually mean for you and your fish?
It Has More Power
The pump has been re-engineered and can now move approx 145-383 US Gal/h which is WAY more powerful than most other canister filters.
It’s Energy Efficient
Additionally, it is more energy efficient and saves you money.
The 107 & 207 models only use 10 Watts of power, which as Fluval notes, is as little as a single LED bulb.
It’s Really Quiet
Lastly, this thing is ultra quiet, approx 25% quieter than previous generations due to a re-engineered impeller assembly.
What’s In The Box?
When you get your new 07 series canister filter the following should be included in the box:
- AquaStop valve
- Ribbed hosing
- Rim connectors
- Intake tube
- Intake strainer
- Intake Stem with intake strainer
- Pre-Filter basket
- Media basket
- Media basket cover
- Media basket handle
- Suction cup (30 mm)
- Output nozzle
- 2 rubber hose connectors
- Instruction manual (Click here to see it)
Oh, and you get all the media you need to run your canister for FREE in the box:
- Bio-Foam Max
- 70 g carbon
Fluval 07 Series Canister Filter Features & Benefits
The Fluval 07 Canister has some great new features which we’ll discuss in a bit more detail in one second.
But here is the complete list of all the features as noted on the Fluval website.
- Fluval eTEC (Efficient Technology) construction employs cutting-edge design, materials & manufacturing methods to deliver powerful pump performance, reduced energy consumption & ultra-quiet operation
- Powerful motor generates constant pumping power and pressure that endures over time
- Re-engineered, the precision-crafted pump runs up to 25% quieter than the previous generation
- Energy-efficient – some 07 series filters draw as little energy as a single household LED lightbulb
- Redesigned, substantially enlarged rubber feet stabilizers offer the superior vibration-dampening ability and added protection
- New ergonomic AquaStop valves with a raised lip for smoother operation
- Single action dual Lift-Lock motorhead clamps for quick release and attachment
- Redesigned Primer with larger easy-grip handle provides fast, effortless start-ups with just a few pumps
- EZ-Lift media baskets with new center handle allow media stack to be removed with just 1 finger for quick access (less mess & no need to empty canister of water)
- Unique vertical pre-filter cartridge with independent access provides more surface area and better mechanical filtration
Now let’s go over some of the main features that I like.
1. Priming Device:
The newly designed priming device is stronger and more durable than previous versions and you only need two fingers to prime it, compared to other canister filters where you need two hands.
This makes it MUCH easier to prime when you’re bent over trying to reach the lever within a cabinet under your tank.
When comparing the 07 series priming assembly to the old 06 series priming assembly the new one is much more robust, rigid and strong.
Actually, according to Fluval, it’s seven times stronger.
Lastly, the priming device has been improved allowing for better suction which allows you to start the canister after only 3-4 pumps.
3. Aqua Stop Valves:
When we look at the Aqua Stop Valves and compare the 06 to the 07.
The 06 series locking pad was pretty flush with the top edge of the canister. This made it difficult to grip and pull open.
The 07 series addressed these issues by extending it beyond the top ridge as well as adding an upward angle so it is much more easy to grip.
The lock itself is now made of a thicker plastic and has some ribbed material on the top which makes the 07 two times stronger than the 06 series.
All these new features on the Aqua Stop allows for improved performance and minimal assembly.
4. Locking Clamps:
The new design of the side locking clamps has been fiber reinforced with ribbing at the top for improved ergonomic access to the clamp.
The entire mounting assembly has been built with more plastic and rigid design which mean only two big clamps and easy access versus the typical four clamp systems found on a lot of other competitors.
This makes for easy maintenance with only a two-step process:
Unlock to access the filter then simply lock the clamp in place when you’re done.
5. Feet Stabilizers:
The new feet stabilizer have been increased in size to allow for better stability and damping of vibrations and unwanted noise.
When compared to the 06 series or other canister filters the 07 as you can see are much larger.
6. The Pump:
The 07 series pump has been re-engineered with a diamond polished aluminum ceramic impeller shaft (that’s a mouthful) which helps eliminate tolerance and gap.
The pump also has an improved fan blade and a magnetic rotor which is all installed in the factory.
All this basically means is that your impeller gets frictionless rotations which in turn means the pump is almost 25% quieter and will last longer.
7. Pre Filter & Media Baskets:
One unique feature is that the Inside the pre-filtration is actually vertical.
Meaning the pads are vertically stacked to help reduce void space within the canister box.
The pre-filtration pads include a new Fluval product called Bio-Foam Max which due to its new design of ripple patterns provides up to 30% greater surface area.
Next, they have their easy to lift media baskets which can easily be removed without having to remove any of the water from your canister.
You can actually lift all the media and baskets out with only ONE finger! Which can also be done with the pre-filter.
Being able to take out all the media (with a finger) do your maintenance, then easily put it all back together is a HUGE time saver and keeps things really clean.
What size Fluval canister filter do I need?
Each canister filter has multiple sizes and capacities that are designed for specific aquarium sizes.
Below we have provided a table that should help you select the right size canister filter for your aquarium.
Gallons Per Hour
|Fluval FX4||700||250 US Gal|
|Fluval FX6||925||400 US Gal|
|Fluval 107||145||10-30 US Gal|
|Fluval 207||206||20-45 US Gal|
|Fluval 307||303||40-70 US Gal|
|Fluval 407||383||50-100 US Gal|
How often should I clean my Fluval canister filter?
Canister filters need to be cleaned once every 1-3 months. However, this is always dependant on how heavily stocked your aquarium is. If you have very little fish, it’s possible to push the cleanings out to 6 months in some cases.
What is the best Fluval filter?
While all Fluval Filters are great, if I had to rank them in order of best to worst, this would be my list.
Top 5 Fluval Aquarium Filters
- Fluval FX4 & FX6 Canister Filter
- Fluval 07 Series Canister Filter
- Fluval C Series Power Filters
- Fluval G Series Canister Filter
- Fluval U Series Internal Filter
Fluval 07 Canister Filter General Maintenance Tips & Videos
Motor Head Gasket & O-Ring Maintenance
Primer Assembly Maintenance
Intake Assembly Maintenance
AquaStop Gasket Maintenance
- How Many Glofish In A 20 Gallon Tank - December 4, 2023
- Ensuring the Right Water Temperature for Your Betta Fish: A Comprehensive Care Guide - December 4, 2023
- Top Aquarium-Safe Silicones: Ensuring the Health of Your Fish - December 4, 2023