If you’re getting your first Aquarium, it’s probably not a good idea to get something too large. But, then again, you don’t want something too small either.
Many people make the mistake of starting with a small aquarium, but you can’t put enough fish in a tank of this size to make it enjoyable. A smaller tank can also make it challenging to maintain suitable water parameters.
The best way to start is with a 20-gallon tank.
That way, it isn’t too large that it will be challenging to maintain, but it will be large enough to have an excellent selection of fish, plant life, and one beautiful centerpiece fish.
Let’s get started and look at five of the best 20-gallon aquariums and give you the ins and outs of each one.
Further Reading: Find the best Fish Tanks and learn precisely how to set them up, so you succeed. These guides are for beginners looking to buy or set up their first tank.
- Our Top Picks
- Here are The Best 20 Gallon Fish Tanks
- Things A Complete Aquarium Kit Will Have Included
- Fish Species You Can Keep in 20-Gallon Aquarium.
- Should You Add Live Plants in a 20-Gallon Aquarium?
- How to Maintain a 20-Gallon Aquarium?
- Final Thoughts
Our Top Picks
|Top||Aqueon Aquarium Starter Kit with LED Lighting 20 High||Prime||Check Price Now|
|Top||Marina Aquarium Kit - 20 gallon Fish Tank - LED||PrimeEligible||Buy On Amazon|
|Tetra Aquarium 20 Gallon Fish Tank Kit, Includes LED Lighting and Decor||PrimeEligible||Check Price Now|
Here are The Best 20 Gallon Fish Tanks
Below you’ll find our recommended aquarium kits that are big enough for most beginners. Each of these 20 gallon tanks will come with things like led lights, a power filter, and maybe some artificial plants.
That said, some of the tank kits below are just that, a tank and nothing more.
Let’s get into it.
1. Aqueon Aquarium Fish Tank Starter Kit
The Aqueon Aquarium Fish Tank Starter Kit is perfect for beginner fish owners.
This 20-gallon kit comes with everything you need to get started: an aquarium, LED lighting system, and filtration system that easily attaches to the back of your tank.
The included gravel substrate also makes it easy to start planting as soon as you unpack this starter kit!
- The lighting in your aquatic setting will come to life with the addition of a vibrant LED!
- Includes: 20H glass aquarium, low profile LED full hood, Quiet Flow LED Pro Power Filter with medium cartridge, 100W preset heater, premium fish food, water conditioner
- The preset heater maintains a consistent temperature of 78 degrees in your Aquarium, ideal for most tropical fish.
If you’re looking for an easy way to get started with keeping fish, the Aqueon Aquarium Fish Tank Starter Kit is the perfect option.Check Price Now
2. Marina 20 Gallon Aquarium Kit
Marina LED Aquarium Kit is a great way to keep fish.
The kit comes with everything you need to set up your Aquarium, including an LED light, food, and water conditioner.
It’s easy to assemble too! The tank has pre-drilled holes for screws, and the filter system attaches quickly without any complicated parts. LED Lighting System: This 20 gallon tank comes equipped with a vibrant LED lighting system that will illuminate your aquatic settings in no time at all!
It even includes a low-profile full hood so you can enjoy watching your fish while they swim around their new home.
- Includes a Marina Slim S20 clip-on filter with quick-change filter cartridges, as well as everything you’ll need to get your aquatic habitat up and running.
- It measures 24 inches L x 12.5 inches W x 16.5 inches H.
Don’t miss out on this excellent opportunity to get started with keeping fish! The Marina LED Aquarium Kit has everything you need to start, including an LED light and water conditioner.Check Price Now
3. Tetra 20 Gallon Complete Aquarium Kit
If you’re looking for an easy way to get started with aquariums, the Tetra 20 Gallon Complete Aquarium Kit might be just what you need.
This kit comes with almost everything you need to get started, including a tank, filter, heater, and LED light.
- Made in the United States and features scratch-resistant glass.
- The Tetra Aquarium includes an LED hood, which produces a natural daytime effect, and a Whisper Filter that is entirely silent yet robust water flow.
- Artificial Plants provide a unique, natural ambiance while also providing a resting area for your fish, which helps to reduce fish anxiety.
The Tetra Kit includes:
- One 20-Gallon Glass Aquarium,
- One LED hood,
- Tetra Micro UL Heater,
- Tetra Whisper 20 Filter,
- Artificial Boxwood Plant Mat,
- Four fake plants.
Looking for an easy way to get started with aquariums? Look no further than the Tetra 20 Gallon Complete Aquarium Kit.
This kit comes with almost everything you need to get started, including a tank, filter, heater, and LED light. The scratch-resistant glass tank is made in the United States and is a great starter kit for anyone looking to get into the hobby of fish keeping.Check Price Now
4. Aqueon Ascent LED Kit
Aqueon Ascent LED Kit is the perfect kit for anyone who wants to have a low-maintenance, high-quality tank.
The Aqueon Ascent LED Kit includes everything you need to get started with your Aquarium, including an attractive and durable 20 gallon glass tank that features a modern design.
There are also four artificial plants included in this kit which help create a natural ambiance while providing fish with places to rest and reducing fish anxiety.
This kit also includes Tetra’s Whisper Filter, specially designed, so it is entirely silent yet still very robust in its water flow.
Are you looking for a low-maintenance, high-quality aquarium? Then, look no further than the Aqueon Ascent LED kit!Check Price Now
5. GloFish Aquarium Kit Fish Tank
If you are looking for an excellent aquarium kit that will let you keep fish, the GloFish Aquarium Kit Fish Tank is a great option to consider.
This 20-gallon tank is perfect for beginner fish enthusiasts and includes everything you need to get started.
The tank features a built-in filter and LED lighting system that creates a beautiful underwater glow, making your fish look even more impressive.
The blue LED light transforms your Aquarium entirely, with GloFish and neon décor.
The Tetra Glofish Kit includes:
- One 20-gallon glass aquarium,
- One hood,
- One Tetra Mini UL Heater,
- One filter from the Tetra Whisper 20 series,
- Three plants from the Glofish 13″ LED Sticks collection (one yellow anemone) and one yellow anemone.
Don’t miss your chance to get this fantastic GloFish Aquarium Kit Fish Tank!
The blue LED light transforms your Aquarium entirely, with GloFish and neon décor. Get the Tetra Glofish Kit today!Check Price Now
Things A Complete Aquarium Kit Will Have Included
There are many pieces of essential aquarium equipment that a good kit will include.
However, it’s important to remember that not one kit will consist of everything we list below.
Ensure you know what you need for your 20 gallon fish tank and get a kit that suits your needs.
A 20 Gallon Fish Tank
Before buying, make sure your starter kit includes the type of tank you want. Tanks can come in many different sizes, shapes, and types of material, so choose what works best for you.
Other than the standard 20-gallon tank, here are a few different tanks.
A 20-gallon tank with odd dimensions like a bow front, tall or long tank
Scratch-resistant acrylic aquariums
An aquarium fish tank is made of either glass or acrylic. Both have their pros and cons, but a glass aquarium is best for the beginner in most cases.
Here is a list of just a few things that might be included in a suitable tank kit.
- LED Light
- A Lid Hood/Canopy
- A Good Filtration System
- Easy To Set Thermometer
- Gravel Or Substrate
- A Good Stand
- Water Conditioner
- Fish Food
- Water Heater (78 degrees is the most common temperature for tropical fish)
- Artificial/Plastic Plants
- Fish Net
As always, you’ll want to keep in mind which fish you want to keep, which can impact the type of equipment you’ll need right from the start.
A simple Betta tank might only require a heater, thermometer, and maybe a filter.
However, if you decide to keep something like a Ram Cichlid, you might need a few more pieces of equipment.
Go Pro & Take Your 20 Gallon Aquarium Kit To The Next Level
There are many ways to take it to the next level, as with any hobby. And fish keeping is no exception.
If you have enough space, you may want to add live plants & full-color spectrum grow lights to create a fantastic aquascape.
The art of aquascaping is a hobby in itself, and I highly recommend you learn the basics before jumping into the advanced world of planted tanks. That said, check out advancedplantedtank.com if you’re interested in growing live plants.
Another idea is to find and stock an exciting type of fish like the galaxy rasbora.
Or, maybe you want an upgrade to your cleaning process, and you decide to get a premium gravel vacuum to keep the water clean.
Fish Species You Can Keep in 20-Gallon Aquarium.
It’s a common misconception that you need to have an aquarium larger than 20 gallons to keep fish.
In reality, many different types of fish can be kept in a 20-gallon tank. Here is just a small list of the most popular and well-known species that you can keep in your own 20 gallon aquarium:
- Zebra Danio
- Neon Tetra
- Cory Catfish
Or check out our detailed stocking guide with some of the best fish for a 20 gallon tank.
Should You Add Live Plants in a 20-Gallon Aquarium?
The answer to this question depends on the type of plants you get and your aquarium setup.
Most live plants can thrive if you have a well-filtered and lit tank. However, there are many different plants to choose from, so do some research to find the right ones for your tank.
Here is a list of some great plants for a 20 gallon aquarium:
- Java Fern
- Water Wisteria
How to Maintain a 20-Gallon Aquarium?
Our Recommended Fish Tank, 20 Gallon Complete Aquarium Kit Is The Marina LED Fish Tank Kit
The aquariums we have discussed today are all high quality and can be used for a variety of animal life, but one that stands out is the Marina LED Aquarium Kit.
You get a 20-gallon aquarium with accessories, making this ideal for fish-keeping.
If you’re looking for a great, all-in-one option that will have you up and running with a beautiful 20 gallon fish tank in no time, the Aqueon Aquarium Fish Tank Starter Kit is our top pick.
- All the equipment needed to get started in one box
- Kit includes: glass aquarium, low profile LED hood, QuietFlow power filter, filter cartridge, submersible preset heater, premium fish food sample, water conditioner sample, fish net, thermometer and setup guide
This kit comes complete with just about everything you need to get started, including an LED light, filter system, and substrate.
Plus, it’s made of high-quality glass that can withstand the everyday wear and tear of being a fish tank.
So if you’re ready to take your aquarium hobby to the next level, be sure to check out the Aqueon Aquarium Fish Tank Starter Kit today!
Below you’ll find answers to some common questions about 20 gallon aquariums.
How Big Is A 20 Gallon Fish Tank?
A 20 gallon fish tank typically comes in two sizes;
- Standard size: 24″ x 12″ x 16″
- 20 Gallon Long: 30″ x 12″ x 12″
How Many Fish Can You Keep In A 20 Gallon Fish Tank?
A 20-gallon fish tank can keep 8-15 fish, depending on how big each fish is. Generally, fish larger than 3 inches shouldn’t be kept in a tank this size.
How Heavy Is A 20 Gallon Fish Tank When Full?
A 20 gallon fish tank typically comes in two sizes (standard & long). Both will weigh about 225 pounds when filled.
How Much Does A 20 Gallon Fish Tank Cost?
The cost of your 20 gallon fish tank can vary a great deal.
- A rimless ultra-low iron fish tank could cost around $120 (US)
- A standard 20 gallon fish tank can cost about $50 (US)
- An aquarium kit that comes with things like led lighting, a filter, heater, and fish food can cost $150 (US)
If you are new to the hobby, a kit that comes with a light, filter, heater might be the best value. However, an experienced Aquascaper might opt for the clear and visually appealing ultra-low rimless iron tank.
- Unlock the Mystery: How Long Do Aquarium Shrimp Live? - February 27, 2023
- Aquaclear 70 Review – Tested & Compared To Top Brands. - February 25, 2023
- Penn Plax Cascade Canister Aquarium Filter Review – Why It’s Underpriced! - February 24, 2023