10 Gallon Fish Tank Stand Ideas
In this article, we’ll help you find a great stand for your 10-gallon tank that will suit your style with eight unique options to choose from.
Here’s what you’ll learn;
- Our recommended 10 gallon tank stands
- Where to buy aquarium stands
- What can i use as a fish tank stand
- How to build a 10 gallon fish tank stand
It’s essential to give your fish a beautiful home to live in, which is why people invest a significant amount of money and time in preparing a fish tank. And even though it is not the core part of the fish tank, a stand for your fish tank is a crucial part of your overall setup.
A lot of people start with a 10-gallon fish tank as their entryway into fish-keeping. If you’re planning to buy your first 10-gallon fish tank or trying to find a new stand for your existing 10-gallon tank, you are in luck. We have curated a list of ten of the best stands you can buy for your 10-gallon fish tank.
Here’s Our Favorite Aquarium Stands For A 10 Gallon Tank
We decided to take a closer look at some of the best 10 gallon fish tank stands available to find the best models out there. Of the many models we’ve seen, these are the best stands for a 10 gallon tank to buy in 2021:
- Best 10 gallon Fish Tank Stand Overall: Ameriwood Aquarium Stand
- Most Simple 10 Gallon Aquarium Stand: Aqueon Forge Aquarium Stand
- Best Value: Imagitarium Newport Wooden Tank Stand
Let’s help you find the best fit for your fish tank.
Here Are Our Top 5 stands For 10-gallon tanks:
Remember, your 10-gallon fish tank stand needs to be sturdy, well balanced, and well-made. Enough to bear the weight of your tank when filled with water and substrate. Its design should complement your fish tank and blend in with the surroundings.
Learn how to setup your first 10-gallon fish tank? Setup Ideas, Equipment, Best Fish and More. *SUPER* Easy instructions to help you.
1. Ameriwood Aquarium Stand **Top Choice**
The first stand that caught our eye for a 10-gallon tank is from Ameriwood. With a unique patented design that allows the stand to hold the weight of either a 10-gallon, a 20-gallon fish tank. The base and the top of the stand are interchangeable. If you need to switch your 10-gallon tank to a 20-gallon tank, all you have to do is flip the stand upside down.
This stand will save you the cost of a new stand if you decide to go for a bigger fish tank. The stand can handle a filled fish tank weighing up to 120 lbs when oriented for a 10-gallon tank, or 240 lbs when stood for a 20-gallon tank. The stand is 28” high, with the surface 25” long and 15.6” wide when assembled for a 10-gallon tank. It comes with both open and concealed storage.
- Efficient design and feature to switch sides depending upon your aquarium size.
- Beautiful wood grain finish.
- Sturdy built.
- Assembling is complicated.
- Structurally weak if not assembled correctly.
2. Imagitarium 10 Gallon Stand
This minimally designed stand is for fish tanks up to 20 gallons. It’s perfect for a 10-gallon tank, allowing extra space on the side. It is open, roomy, and reasonably priced. Because of simple design, the stand is super easy to assemble. The stand has two equal sections spacious enough to keep all the fish related items i.e., feed and fishnet, etc.
The stand is about 30” high, with the surface measuring 24.75” in length and 12.75” in width. It can accommodate 10-gallon tanks of varying dimensions. It also features adjustable protective nylon leveling feet. These allow the stand to be placed on either a carpeted, wooden, or marble floor. The open design makes it easier to run cords under and through it.
Its open design, unobtrusive structure, and sturdy sub-levels can be used to place smaller tanks inside the stand, which makes it ideal if you want to keep multiple tanks in one place.
- Price is very reasonable considering the capacity.
- Allow easy placement of multiple tanks.
- Very easy to assemble.
- Poor adjustment of leveling feet can make a stand wobbly.
- Some people found the material flimsy when supporting a heavy fish tank.
3. Aqueon Tank Stand
If you feel that a wooden stand is not for you, you can check out the steel-made Aqueon Forge Aquarium Stand. The construction is broken down into two shelves. The top shelf can accommodate a tank of up to 14-gallon. Though the surface is 20” by 10” (length by width) and may not allow the fish tanks of unusual designs.
The bottom shelf is designed to house a smaller 5.5-gallon fish tank. If you have both tanks, having them on a single stand will make it easier to care for them. The wood panels in the design are reversible. Black and light brown panels can be switched up depending on your needs.
The tank is sturdy and well built. Steel body and rust-resistant finish will allow it to weather the times as well as stays stable against humidity and water spills.
- Solid build and ability to withstand the weight easily.
- Design is simple and elegant enough to add to the décor or any room or office.
- Flappable wood panel for easy access to the tank at the bottom.
- No compartments for placing accessories and feed.
- Minimal surface area may not work with every design of 10-gallon fish tanks.
4. Aquatic Fundamentals 10 Gallon Aquarium Stand (Black)
Another metallic stand that you can choose for your 10-gallon tank is from Aquatic Fundamentals. The AZM-102101 has a classic scroll design. Its slim build, combined with its powdered finish gives it an elegant look. The frame is sturdy and well-made. Strong enough to hold your 10-gallon tank for years.
The steel construction durable and the stand itself is around 28” high, 20.9” in length and 11” in width. Enough for standard-sized fish tanks with a small space to spare. Scroll design on the sides adds to the décor. An additional frame in the bottom may be used to place a smaller fish tank or other equipment.
The finish is moisture resistant. It also protects the stand against occasional water spills. The stand is straightforward to assemble.
- Beautifully designed and complements most décors thanks to its simplicity.
- Assembling is easy, and all the necessary tools come with the packaging.
- A slim design makes it unobtrusive.
- It can’t be used to place 10-gallon fish tanks of an unconventional design.
- May seem wobbly is the surface isn’t perfectly flat
5. Imagitarium Brooklyn Metal Tank Stand For 10 Gallon Tanks
If you think that a thin metal frame seems flimsy, you might like this metal tank stand. The Brooklyn stand from Imagitarium is made from steel, but the bars used in its construction are thicker, which also gives the stand a solid and durable look while easily being able to hold the weight of a 10-gallon tank.
Some people even use it for larger tanks, but the manufacturers recommend it for tanks up to 10-gallon sizes. Additional bars on the top of the stand (where you place the tank), other than the four sides, augment the support of the fish tank.
Adjustable feet and leveling allow the stand to be placed on several surfaces with a perfect and sturdy grip. It also helps the stand hold firm on surfaces that are bit uneven. It’s also water-resistant. The stand is 29.5” high, and the area at the top is 20.5” long and 10.5” wide.
- Very easy to assemble.
- Black color and minimal design give it a solid look.
- It can comfortably accommodate most 10-gallon tank designs.
- Reasonably priced.
- Weight distribution can suffer if you assemble the stand the wrong way.
- No shelves or compartments underneath to put fish tank accessories or feed.
6. Caitec Double 10 Gallon Fish Tank Stand
If you want your fish and birds to be displayed together, this might be the right stand for you. Even if you don’t, a double stand gives you more options for the future, especially if you want to keep two 10-gallon fish tanks. The design is straightforward, and you won’t have any problems managing the tank at the bottom due to sufficient space.
Assembling is even easier than other simple fish tank stands. You may not want to use the bottom level to keep another 10-gallon tank or a birdcage. In that case, you can place plywood on it to double as a shelf to keep accessories and feed.
It is the only fully knocked-down fish tank stand currently in circulation in the industry. The stand is 31” high and 20” in length.
- Works equally well for fish tanks, terrariums, cages, and other pet containers.
- Double layers allow you to keep multiple fish tanks or other pet containers in one place.
- Great value for the price
- Legs might seem wobbly on some surfaces.
- Water changes in a tank on the lower level can be hard if you use a gravity-fed siphon because it is very low near the ground.
7. Sauder Gallon Aquarium Stand
Though it is a bit higher than the 10-gallon mark of our other stands, we believe it deserves a place on this list. The Sauder 413689 is explicitly designed for 14-gallon Bio Cubes. Bio cubes are specially designed fish tanks that include all the necessary fish tank equipment in one unit i.e., light, filter, and pumps. The Bio Cube can be used to keep freshwater and marine water fish.
The bio cube stand is 28.8” high, and the area on top is 15.6” long and 15.4” wide. The dimensions are enough for the 14-gallon Bio Cube or some smaller fish tanks. The stand is sturdy enough to handle the weight of a 10-gallon tank easily. But the dimensions make it impossible to use a standard 10-gallon fish tank.
There is a single door hidden compartment. Large enough to store feed, fishnets, and other accessories. The cable management option allows for easy installation and setup.
- Durable enough to last for many years.
- Cable management and assembly of the stand are effortless.
- The compartment allows keeping all the necessary accessories near the Bio Cube.
- Dimensions of the surface allow either cube-shaped 10-gallon tanks or smaller fish tanks.
- Particleboard construction makes it susceptible to water damage.
8. Coralife Designer Biocube Stand
Another stand explicitly designed for Bio Cubes. This one is for Bio Cubes with a capacity of 29 to 32 gallons. Fortunately, its dimensions of 21.5” length and 20.5” width allow for easy placement of 10 –gallon fish tanks, with a lot of space in the front to the spare. The stand is 29.5” high.
Though it might be considered a costly stand for a 10-gallon fish tank, it is well-priced for the Bio Cube. The stand is waterproof and has transparent panels in the front, which are acrylic for lightweight and enhanced strength. The compartment behind the doors is spacious and divided into two shelves.
Two holes are present in the back to make the wiring easy. The overall look of the stand is exquisite, and the black color easily blends in most room settings.
- It can accommodate a 29-32 gallon Bio Cube or a 10-gallon fish tank easily.
- Enough space to store all the accessories and feed in one place.
- The stand is very sturdy and durable.
- When fully assembled, it’s way more cumbersome than other 10-gallon fish tank stands.
- Costly compared to other 10-gallon fish tank stands.
What You Should Know Before Buying a Fish Tank Stand
Choosing the right stand for your 10-gallon fish tank can be a bit confusing. We have tried to make the process easier for you. Before you start your search for the best stand for your 10-gallon fish tank, you should know about the different features.
Can It Support The Weight Of Your Tank?
Knowing the weight of your tank is the first step in deciding on the right fish tank stand. You should see if the stand can handle the weight of your full fish tank, with some to spare. If your tank weighs about 110 lbs when it is full, you should go for a stand that can at least handle 120 lbs.
It is also prudent to get a stand that can withstand a much heavier fish tank, which will prevent you from purchasing another costly stand if you decide to go for a bigger fish tank.
It is essential to know that a freshwater tank is always lighter than a marine water tank. The type and quantity of substrate can also make your fish tank weigh more than average. Some planted aquariums need higher substrate layers to anchor the plants properly. They may increase the weight of the stand over the average. Make sure your stand can handle that weight. A stand that can’t bear the weight of your fish tank will cost you much more than the price of the stand if it collapses.
How Big Is Your Tank?
Know the dimensions of your fish tank. Not all 10-gallon fish tanks are standard dimensions. If your fish tank has an unusual shape, a larger foot area, or is too high, you may not be able to place it on your stand. Dimensions of your fish tank will give you the idea of the dimensions your stand should be able to handle.
Typical 10 gallon fish tank dimensions
Standard dimensions of a 10-gallon tank are 20”x10”x12” (length x width x height). The height usually doesn’t matter since you place the fish tank on top of the stand. It can be an issue when you put it on a lower level of a fish tank stand. The surface area of a bit more than 20” by 10” is ideal so that your tank sits comfortably on top. Protrusions or boundaries at the edges can add to the safety of the tank.
The height of most stands falls somewhere between 27” to 32”. It is an essential consideration because it affects the visibility of your tank as well as your accessibility to it. If it’s too high, you will have a hard time feeding your fish. If it’s too low, your gravity-dependent filters and siphons might not work.
What Material Is The Stand Made From?
The material your fish tank stand is made up of is significant. It indicates the durability and water-resistance of your stand. Three most common fish tank stand materials are:
3. Particle Board (MDF)
Metal is the prime choice for stands for heavier fish tanks. Stands made from metal are stronger, durable, and have a longer life. With the right finish, they are also relatively water-resistant.
Plywood is the second-best choice used by most high-end brands. It is more expensive but stronger than particleboard. It is not as water-resistant as the coated metal, but its way better against water and humidity than particleboard – one of the reasons why it is used to make cabinets in kitchens.
Particleboard (MDF) is the cheapest choice in the list. It is used to make lightweight stands. Its water susceptibility can be worked around by coating it with paint.
Aquarium Stand Design
Most 10-gallon fish tank stands are designed with simplicity in mind, especially the metal ones. The plywood or MDF stands are usually more extensively designed, and they typically resemble small cupboards. They have concealed compartments behind doors. The availability of the compartments is a very desirable attribute in a fish tank. They can be used to store your fish feed and the equipment you have with your fish tank.
Metal stands sometimes do come with shelves designed to place either feed, equipment, or a smaller fish tank. These stands are very openly designed, with enough spaces to run the cables under and around the stands. People incorporate wooden planks or pieces in their metal stands to act as make-shift shelves.
The stand should complement the fish tank and the surrounding décor. Beautifully designed fish tanks add to the aesthetics of their surroundings.
Another critical design feature is assembling ease. Try picking a stand that is easy to assemble. Assembly is essential, and if done incorrectly, you will end up with a wobbly and structurally unsafe stand, especially when you place a 110 lbs filled fish tank over it.
Custom, DIY or Store Bought Stands?
Though most stands are premade and bought online or from stores, there are other options as well. Custom made stands, and DIY stands. Custom-built stands are ideal if you have a unique fish tank design or unusual sizes. They allow for much flexibility in design and material, but on the flip side, they are more costly.
DIY 10 gallon aquarium stand
DIY stands require you to do most of the work. Most people find it too tedious, and it is not ideal for larger tanks where you may not be able to make a structurally sound enough stand. But for smaller tanks, DIY stands can be cost-friendly, as well as higher quality than others.
Video: How to build a 10 gallon fish tank stand
A fish tank is not just a container to keep your fish in. It is a beautiful, live decoration piece that should be both functional and aesthetic. You choose the right fish and the right-sized fish tank, filters, and plants when designing your fish tank. Without a proper stand, though, your setup will stay incomplete.
Weight handling capability, right dimensions, good material, efficient, and elegant design. These should be the main factors you consider before choosing your fish tank stand. Taking all these factors into account, we have chosen the Ameriwood Aquarium Stand as our top pick. The best thing we like about its flexibility to accommodate a larger tank.
Because of a similar feature, our second pick is Aqueon Forge Aquarium Stand. It’s a beautiful and sturdy metal stand that can accommodate a smaller tank in addition to a 10-gallon one.
Having gone through the whole article, you must now have enough information regarding fish tank stands. You have also seen a few examples of good stands. Equipped with this knowledge, we are sure you will be able to find the perfect stand for your fish tank.
More Info About 10-Gallon Tanks
- Guide to Setting up Your 10-Gallon Planted Tank
- 12 Hungry Algae Eaters For Small Tanks 10 Gallons & Under
- Stocking A 10 Gallon Tank
- Best Small Catfish for a 10-Gallon Tank Setup
- Bottom Feeder Fish for a 10-Gallon Tank
- How Much Gravel For A 10 Gallon Tank
- How Many Neon Tetras In A 10 Gallon Tank
- How Many Guppies in a 10-Gallon Tank
- How Many Goldfish in a 10-Gallon Tank
- Easy 10-gallon Cichlid Tank Ideas
- Best Powerhead for a 10 Gallon Tank
- What Is The Best Canister Filter For A 10 Gallon Fish Tank?
- Gravel Vacuum For 10 Gallon Tank & Smaller
- Best Stands For 10 Gallon Fish Tanks
- How Many Glofish In A 20 Gallon Tank - December 4, 2023
- Ensuring the Right Water Temperature for Your Betta Fish: A Comprehensive Care Guide - December 4, 2023
- Top Aquarium-Safe Silicones: Ensuring the Health of Your Fish - December 4, 2023