I hope you love the products I recommend! Just so you know, I may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Oh, and FYI — as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This article is about finding the best heaters for a 10-gallon tank. We’ll help you find the right one for you and share a few tips and tricks when looking for an aquarium
Just like you, I care about fish and as experts, we know that fish depend on proper water temperature for thermoregulation and seek out proper temperatures that optimize their well-being.
Some fish even seek out warmer water when they are fighting an illness, like parasites. This is known as “behavioral fever” and has been documented in fish and reptiles.
So water temperature is vital to keeping your fish healthy.
Pro-Tip: When adding a new
heaterto your tank be sure to keep an eye on the tank temperature for the first few days to ensure it is functioning properly.
Given that a water
Out of the list of the seven best heaters for a 10-gallon tank, I recommend the Fluval M Submersible Aquarium Heater as our top pick, it is safe, versatile, budget-friendly, and does the job. You can see it in my 10-gallon planted tank.
But the other six in the list for the seven best heaters for a 10-gallon tank don’t disappoint either.
Our Picks For A 10 Gallon Fish Tank
|Top||Fluval M50 Submersible Glass Aquarium Heater (50 watts)||Prime||Buy On Amazon|
|Tetra HT Submersible Aquarium Heater With Electronic Thermostat, 50-Watt||Prime||Buy On Amazon|
|FREESEA 50W Mini Aquarium Fish Tank Submersible Heater with LED Temperature Display||Prime||Buy On Amazon|
|HITOP 50W 100W 300W Adjustable Aquarium Heater, Submersible Fish Tank Heater Thermostat with Thermometer (50W-Grey)||Prime||Buy On Amazon|
|Aqueon 100106251 Preset Aquarium Heater,Black, 50W||Prime||Buy On Amazon|
|EHEIM Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater 100W||Prime||Buy On Amazon|
|Orlushy Submersible Aquarium Heater 100W-300W||Prime||Buy On Amazon|
- Our Picks For A 10 Gallon Fish Tank Heater
- The 7 Best Heaters for a 10 Gallon Tank
- 10 Gallon Heater FAQs
- Final Thoughts
- More Info About 10-Gallon Tanks
The 7 Best Heaters for a 10 Gallon Tank
So, here is our in-depth research on the seven best heaters for a 10-gallon tank. These products have been handpicked and reviewed so that it will help you choose the right
Tetra HT Submersible Aquarium
Coming in at #7 is the Tetra HT submersible aquarium
Award-winning aquascapers' choice.
The smart one. Lean but powerful. APT Zero contains the full potency of APT Complete, but without nitrates and phosphates. It is specially designed for tanks with significant fish load and for hobbyists looking to replicate the renowned ADA dosing system. Its leaner dosing approach provides maximum algae control.
If you have an aquarium that has a capacity of two to 10 gallons, this model is ideal. If you have an aquarium that has a larger capacity, you can include more than one
- It has an indicator light to show that the
heateris on. This eliminates the need for taking the heaterout of the water to know whether it is working or not.
- The built-in thermostat maintains the water temperature at a proper 78°F.
- The HT
heatercan be placed in any position, and it is small enough, which makes it easy for you to conceal.
- A rarely reported malfunction, which can happen to any
heater, is the possibility to overheat. Always check your water regularly.
Pro-Tip: If you are going to choose this
heater, consider buying two at the 50W setting. Since they auto-regulate, having two acts as a failsafe should one fail. If one gets hot, the other will not turn on, and being only 50W, it will not overheat the tank. Because at some point, all heaters fail. Always monitor your tank.
Orlushy Submersible Aquarium
Another one of Amazon’s favorites, this model is available in 100W, 150W, 200W, and 300W, and you can choose any one of them depending on the capacity of your aquarium.
The 100W is what we recommend for a conventional 10-gallon tank. But for others, the 150W
The Orlushy aquarium heater can be used in both freshwater as well as saltwater. You can select precise temperature maintenance anywhere between 68°F to 89°F. The aquarium also has a built-in thermostat that turns off the
- It has a reliable built-in thermostat that has an automatic shut down.
- A separate corded thermometer that hangs on the outside of the tank to a suction cup.
heateris also shatterproof and can be used in both freshwater and saltwater.
- Takes some time to heat the water.
- It is reported that the dial is a bit tough to turn with one hand.
Freesea Submersible Aquarium
Rated as Amazon’s Choice for Betta Fish, this submersible water
The built-in thermostat cuts off the power once the water reaches the required temperature and also turns it back on once the water goes below its desired temperature. This model is available in 50W, 75W, and 100W, where they are suitable for a 1 to 10-gallon tank, a 5 to 15-gallon tank, and a 10 to 20-gallon tank, respectively. This
- The cyclic adjustment temperature helps keep your aquarium healthy and clean.
- The automatic turn off and turn on feature makes sure that your aquatic pets and plants get all the needed comforts.
- It is compact and would fit in any shape, landscape, or portrait, aquarium design.
- Rounded shape if you don’t want the cigar shape of most heaters.
- The cord is not very long, around four feet, so you might need an extension cord depending on your tank location.
- Tiny fish have been reported to get stuck in the slots of this
heaterleading to death.
HITOP Aquarium Water
Award-winning aquascapers' choice.
The all-in-one wonder. Richer Colours. Less Algae. Faster Results. 10X more potent1 that conventional fertilizers, and carefully balanced to limit algae. Unlock the true potential of your planted tank today!
The exterior of this model is also made from a 2mm thick quartz glass and is 100% explosion-proof. It has a ten multi-slot heating ceramic frame, which creates better heat dissipation.
The manual on/off switch, in our opinion, is a plus. It keeps owners from relying too much on automatic sensor controls, which can be faulty.
- The add-on thermometer makes sure that your water is at the right temperature.
heateris also explosion-proof because of the 2mm quartz glass.
- It also comes with an extra suction cup.
- There is no automatic switch off. So, you will have to make sure that you turn the
heateroff after it reaches the desired temperature.
- It has been reported to arrive in a bubble-wrapped envelope. Make sure to check for damage upon arrival.
Coming in at #3 is the Aqueon water
This is also one of the safest models to use for beginners because of automation. You should still keep an eye on the temperature.
It has an automatic shut-down feature for when the water reaches its desired temperature and an automatic turn-on feature when the water is below its required temperature. It also has an indicator light to show that the
- It is equipped with shatter-resistant technology.
- It has an automatic shut down and turn-on feature.
- The power indicator turns on to show that the
- Some units heat water unevenly. It seems to heat best when placed horizontally.
- Reportedly does not work well above 10-gallon tanks.
Eheim Jager Aquarium
- TruTemp temperature is an excellent way of ensuring that your aquarium remains at its desired temperature without needing to turn it on or off repeatedly.
- It is suitable for both marine and freshwater aquariums.
- It is a safe instrument as it is shatter-resistant as well as shockproof.
- Some reviews are claiming that Eheim customer service isn’t the high quality it used to be in the 40 years they’ve been in business.
Fluval M Submersible Water
Heater: *Our Top Pick*
Fluval entered the aquatic scene in 1975 by pioneering the world’s first 3-stage filter with synchronous motor technology – a game-changer that is still applied in the industry today. Fluval M has been in the aquarium business for a long time, so they know exactly what the customer wants. This is a stylish model, where one of its most defining features would be the camouflaging feature. It includes mirrors that can mimic the surroundings of the
Designed to exceed the maximum estimate of plant-growth requirements, the famous nutrient dosing approach pioneered by Tom Barr is now available in a ready-to-use concentrate that removes the guesswork from trying to recreate this powerful and sometimes elusive formula.
- The reflective technology makes sure that the
heaterstays hidden as it can mirror the surroundings of the aquarium.
- The temperature is so simple to control with the provided temperature dial.
- It has a calibrated thermostat to recalibrate the temperature of the water automatically.
- It is quite long for small-sized aquariums.
- Only good up to 15 gallons.
- Glass exterior means if you drop it, it can break. Shock-resistant does not mean unbreakable if dropped.
Here is a video review of the Fluval M50
Features to consider:
With so many products out there, it can be challenging to choose the right one for your aquarium. However, this section will guide you on what features to look for while you are out looking for the best aquarium
What is the best
heater wattage for your aquarium?
You may find the perfect looking model for your aquarium, but the wrong wattage can kill your fish. The rule of thumb is to consider at least 2.5W to 5W per gallon. So, for a 10-gallon aquarium tank, you would require at least 25W to 75W of wattage. For a higher volume, do the math.
What is the best type of aquarium
There are several types of aquarium heaters:
- Submersible: These heaters are entirely submersible in the tanks, and they are usually shockproof and shatter-resistant. They are also waterproof, obviously. Submersible water heaters work best for smaller aquariums that have a capacity of 1 to 20 gallons.
- Hang-on tank: they are mounted on top of the aquarium, and they are suitable for larger aquariums. They are also partially submersible and are also great for small-sized to medium-sized aquarium tanks. For larger tanks, it is best to get two hand-on heaters and place them at the sides.
- Heating cable: The heating cable needs to be placed underneath the substrate or gravel, and they are suitable only for freshwater aquariums.
What is the right aquarium water temperature?
The water temperature depends on the type of fish you have in your tank. But the typical temperatures for most aquariums range from 76F to 86F. Some fish may require warmer temperatures, and some fish may require temperature change during the change of seasons. So, it is essential to follow-up on the behavior and characteristics of the fish once you decide to get an aquarium.
Getting an aquarium is not the same as getting any other pet. Of course, you have to feed the fish their food regularly. Still, an aquarium is a mini eco-system, and it is a huge responsibility and goes beyond just feeding and cleaning their waste products. The right
Out of the list of the seven best heaters for a 10-gallon tank, the best choice is the Fluval M Submersible Aquarium Heater, as it is safe, versatile, budget-friendly, and does the job of keeping your fishes alive. But the other six in the list for the seven best heaters for a 10-gallon tank don’t disappoint either.
We hope this guide will help you in finding a suitable tank
Remember: always watch the tank and your fish’s behaviors. Frequently, they will signal a problem with the way they behave. If you have any questions that we have left unanswered, feel free to send me a message.
More Info About 10-Gallon Tanks
- Guide to Setting up Your 10-Gallon Planted Tank
- 12 Hungry Algae Eaters For Small Tanks 10 Gallons & Under
- Stocking A 10 Gallon Tank
- Best Small Catfish for a 10-Gallon Tank Setup
- Bottom Feeder Fish for a 10-Gallon Tank
- How Much Gravel For A 10 Gallon Tank
- How Many Neon Tetras In A 10 Gallon Tank
- How Many Guppies in a 10-Gallon Tank
- How Many Goldfish in a 10-Gallon Tank
- Easy 10-gallon Cichlid Tank Ideas
- Best Powerhead for a 10 Gallon Tank
- Best Heater for a 10-gallon tank
- What Is The Best Canister Filter For A 10 Gallon Fish Tank?
- Gravel Vacuum For 10 Gallon Tank & Smaller
- Best Stands For 10 Gallon Fish Tanks
Mohammed, R. S., Reynolds, M., James, J., Williams, C., Mohammed, A., Ramsubhag, A., … & Cable, J. (2016). Getting into hot water: sick guppies frequent warmer thermal conditions. Oecologia, 181(3), 911-917.